Friday, March 22, 2024

Ironwood Gorge - 7 - The Quest Of Uthrilir

Iron Gauntlets, Iron & Gold

Credits

This is a solo play-through of the adventure “Ironwood Gorge” by Eric Jones, published by Ludibrium Games.

Because I am not really an old-school guy, things have been converted to (originally) Iron Gauntlets by Precis Intermedia Games and after about chapter 6, Iron & Gold, also by Precis Intermedia Games. Where necessary, I use Mythic Game Master Emulator by Tana Pigeon, published by Word Mill Games.

This is the second Ludibrium Games module I’ve used for these characters, and I enjoy them. (The first was “The Sanctuary Ruin.”)

As usual, rules misunderstandings are mine and I try to present it as (bad) fiction, with game mechanics in footnotes. The italicized subtitles after the chapter title are prompts from Mythic Game Master Emulator; I try to work the intent into the scene. I am not always successful, but it keeps me a bit more honest.

“Ironwood Gorge” is meant to be the basis for a campaign, where the Bleak Tower is a home base for adventures. I have not yet decided whether I will do that; there could be additional Bleak Tower adventures, or they'll wander away until the third adventure in the trilogy is published.


7 - The Quest Of Uthrilir

Oppose Wishes (PC Negative)

Some effort had been made at appearances: the ceiling was vaulted with wood and the curved outside wall bore a fresco of a stone sanctuary in a forest. A short distance before it was the altar, with candles and incense both burning. A locked cabinet was over to one side. On the wall by the door was a box strapped to the wall — Felewin had seen such priest-beds before; at night, they would be folded down and the curate slept there.

Uthrilir and Adeod[61] were having an earnest discussion by the altar, and Hrelgi, the wizard , was sitting by the wall. She was playing dice against herself, without touching them. One die flew into the air and[62] Ninefingers caught it. “I’ll return it,” he said. “You check the dwarf.”

Kagandis followed him as he walked over to Hrelgi. “Here.” He set the die — a carved toe-knuckle — beside the other die, and stepped away. “They call me Ninefingers.”

“Not giving your true name,” she said. “Smart.” Her voice was musical, even if her words were not. Her accent was slight: a burr to the Rs, a slight softening of the vowels.

“This is Kagandis.” Kagandis managed a smile.

“Hrelgi of Al-Chilean. Are you a slave?”

Ninefingers stopped suddenly. “Slave?”

“I haven’t seen much of this land, which is different than Căled, but the only goblins I’ve seen were slaves.”

“While the orcs have goblin slaves, I am not one. I’m partner with Felewin, there, and Kagandis represents her tribe to the Margrave.”

“Huh.” Hrelgi spoke a word and the two dice flew into her hand. She tucked them in her wallet. “Have you met him, the Margrave?” she asked Kagandis.

“She doesn’t speak a lot of the common tongue.”

“Seems a problem if she’s representing her tribe,” Hrelgi said to Ninefingers.

“If I can use an Elven phrase, sometimes you use the tree you’re standing on instead of finding the perfect tree.”

Hrelgi stared at him and then laughed. “I have never heard elves say that. Where did you hear that?”

“Elven fellow I knew back in Westport. Couldn’t tell you his name.”

“Try me.”

“No, I honestly can’t tell you his name. He was very particular about not sharing it. My family used him to establish the authenticity and provenance of certain artifacts.”

Hrelgi nodded. “Magic user. You’ll never get my true name, but Hrelgi is my birth name.” Ninefingers took a moment to tell Kagandis what was happening.

Hrelgi said, “My friend, Uthrilir, he needs to talk to Odend. I’m going to make sure that happens.”

Ninefingers thought, She’s more dwarven than the dwarves I’ve met.

#

Felewin stood a respectful distance from Uthrilir and Adeod while they spoke. Finally, Adeod said, “I’ve told you all I know, but I wouldn’t go right now even if I could: it’s mating season for the cockatrices.”

“Still, I’ve got to find him.”

Felewin stepped forward. “I’ll help, whatever it is.”

“You don’t even know,” said Uthrilir to Felewin.

“You two saved my life, and Brede asked me to help you. I don’t have a role here, so I’m free. And I’m sure that Ninefingers, my companion, will help, too.”

The dwarf looked over at Ninefingers, Kagandis, and Hrelgi, and said, “Hrelgi is with me, so she must agree…but I tentatively accept your help.”

Felewin knew a little about dwarves; his father had sometimes dealt with them. Tentative acceptance was akin to a backslap and a beer from Brede, so long as the wizard agreed.

The wizard was the only thing that bothered Felewin: he didn’t like wizards and preferred not to deal with them. He was unsettled by someone twisting reality directly. Still, they had dealt with Hastwine, and the wizard was essential to this alliance.

And, selfishly, the thought that a quest like this would be good when talking to Baron Coodna.

Felewin hoped Ninefingers had made a good impression— he had heard the elves and goblins got along, though he had also heard that elves and dwarves didn’t get along, and here were a dwarf and an elf as companions.

Felewin and Uthrilir bade good-bye to the cleric, who had other chores because of the new guests, and went over to the goblins and the wizard.

Hrelgi pointed at each person in turn. “Felewin. Uthrilir. Kagandis. Ninefingers. and Hrelgi of Al-Chulen.”

“Have you told them what we seek?” asked Uthrilir.

“This is your quest,” said Hrelgi. “You speak of it.”

“You are allowed to speak of things,” he said gently to her in a way that spoke of her scars.

She didn’t say anything but looked down at the ground.

Uthrilir looked at everyone. “I am an oddity among dwarves, because I am primarily a cleric of Dilir, whom you know as Daeleth. If you do not know dwarves, we tend to worship Vilthaer, or Viltae. Through activities I never knew, my mentor came into possession of the Ring of Hool.” He held up a ring on a chain. “When he died (as a result of the ring), I swore to destroy it.”

“How?” asked Ninefingers. “Relics are indestructible, it’s the host that dies.” He looked around. “I’ve heard. We never handled relics as a matter of principle; passed them along to the elf I told her about.” Hrelgi nodded.

“Not indestructible,” said Uthrilir. “Odend knows how to destroy them.”

Ninefingers looked on with interest. “He does?”

“I am told. A cleric of our faith had one, met Odend, and afterward the cleric had none.”

“And the cleric was still alive?”

“He was the one I met with, in the city.” He gestured to Hrelgi. “This was just before I met Hrelgi.”

Ninefingers said, “Tell me about this cleric.”

“That is not important. What is important is that he said that Odend had assumed the burden.”

“Ah,” said Ninefingers. “That explains the transfer. How long ago did he do this?”

“A dozen winters ago, or more.”

(At Kagandis’ request, Ninefingers explained it to her.)

Felewin saw the look on Ninefingers’ face, and said, “Is it possible that Odend still has the cursed relic?”

“But we have heard that he helped rid this march of orcs. He could not do that if he were in possession of the relic.”

“No, you’re right,” Felewin said. “The relic might stop him.” Ninefingers started to speak, but Felewin held up his hand. “We will help you find Odend and see what he knows of cursed relics. We might be in the Ironwood some days; gather what you can. We will leave after Brede has gone.”

“Oh. Bliss. More trekking,” said Hrelgi.

“You knew that when you came with me,” said Uthrilir gently.

She glared at him — in a lovely elven way, but it was a glare.

“Great,” said the elf, but she didn’t sound like she meant it.

“What now?” asked Uthrilir.

“We wait,” said Felewin.


Game Mechanics

[61] Experiment: Because Iron Gauntlets isn’t supported any more, I’m going to try Iron & Gold for a bit. Gimmicks are different, it uses Genre Diversion i rules, but the game is supported. Characters might behave slightly differently because I’ve changed gimmicks. Change happens after the first roll, which I had already done.

[62] Felewin gets 1 success on Athletics and Ninefingers gets 2. Ninefingers gets it.

No comments:

Post a Comment