Sunday, January 9, 2022

Fiction/actual plays

Icons

Nothing's been happening here, and really I've been doing solo actual plays: originally of adventures that just happened through the oracle and lately of actual published adventures (in ICONS but not necessarily ICONS adventures.

I've settled on the convention of endnoting/footnoting the actual game mechanics and trying to make the rest of it story-like. That pleases the part of me that once wanted to be a writer but feels honest enough about the mechanics.

So, starting with the next post, there will be, oh, ten actual plays? I started with an adventure that was a superhero and a setup and then two different oracles (Heroic Icons and Mythic). I used the same character to run through the D&D module "Tomb of Horrors" and then did Fainting Goat Games' "Day of the Swarm," Ad Infinitum's "Danger in Dunsmouth" and "Gangbusters!" "Danger in Dunsmouth" actually started with another character, and that was where I discovered that Magic is a versatile power but heavily disadvantaged for a solo character.

Then I had a couple of adventures that, really, called for a group. So I generated a group, League One, and did Ad Infinitum's "Whiteout!" and "Jailbreak" and Fainting Goat Games' "Vampires of Red Square."

Then I took a break for a while and came back with Ad Infinitum's "Devil's Night" with a pair of new heroes, decided I liked them but they needed some muscle added, and now I've done three more adventures with Uncanny Justice: "The Mastermind Affair," Fainting Goat Games' "Panic! At The Museum," and "The Sidereal Schemes of Dr. Zodiac."

So I'll start converting those to HTML and seeing what they look like here.

It should be self-evident, but hey: spoilers for the modules abound, along with areas where I don't go along with the written adventure.

The adventures go into a campaign world, I guess, with a Superhero Relocation program for people who get powers, and an organization called UNLES, and things stolen from all over. A mish-mosh, like superhero comics.

So I hope you like the adventures of Quickstep and Abraham Cadabra and Penultimate and all the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment