Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Next Flight: A tale of two modules

Icons

I was thinking that I haven’t published any solo plays for a while (I know, you’re heartbroken), but honestly, I haven’t done many. However, I have the Flying Solo and Sewer Kings both done or nearly done, but looking at them, they’re both sort of piecemeal things, with chunks to be dropped in sessions and then later picked up.

So I figured what I would do is take the three chapters of Flying Solo (and the fourth that I added) and the four chapters of Sewer Kings and see what they’d look like if you interleaved them. Will it be interesting? Well, at least as interesting as these things ever are.

For convenience’s sake, I'll be numbering them Flying Solo a, b, c, and d, and Sewer Kings a, b, c, and d. We’ll see if they end up being interesting.

As an addendum, I should point out that all of these solo play things have both the tags “Actual Play” and “Fiction” on them. I play them out, and then I do a half-revision, where I turn things like “She tried to hit him and succeeded!” into “She hit him hard.” I don’t remove any results or change things that are unpleasant, but I try to make it read easier and eliminate some of the redundancies. So it’s like fiction in that way.

Actual roleplaying can take a meandering path, while fiction tries to support the story. My current opinion is that actual roleplaying doesn’t really have a story, but we create one in the retelling. So I’m turning it into a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment