Tuesday, August 21, 2018

The idea was...

SYSTEM: ICONS

 I was just going to say that I was going to step back from the big canvases I've been trying to create and just do a small introductory adventure that isn't a bank robbery. It has implied background but the idea is that you can build on it, in the way you want, rather than being stuck with my ideas about superheroes and the world for them.

 Life and estate/executor stuff got in the way. In good news, we have found enough money to pay for the funeral and cremation without selling the house, which is good and proper.

Maybe I can think about something as frivolous as superheroes for a bit.

I have, in fact, written most of the next Mynah story while on the train. So far, they seem to have a structure:
  1. There is a plan.
  2. It goes horribly wrong.
  3. Try to avoid being hurt while preserving the possibility of fulfilling the objective.
  4. Notice something that might help.
  5. Try based on that.
  6. Watch it fail in a way that provides more information.
  7. Make another attempt, usually at a cost.
That's a pretty classic try-fail cycle, though to minimize as-you-now-Bob narration I play with flashbacks. I'm at step 6 in the current story, and know half the final answer: I've figured out how to deal with the angry ducklings but not the main villain.

 (My current conceit for all the Mynah stories is that she's telling them to her captor at some time in the future to buy time until something or other comes to fruition.)

It would have been nice to figure out a story with the brain-in-a-jar as the main character, but I kept thinking about how to deal with the one story seed (the nutrient fluid is replaced with beer, so you have to deal with a drunk brain-in-a-jar) but I couldn't find a way to make it work as a story with him as the main character: all the versions I did of You Were Perfectly Fine by Dorothy Parker involved something darker than I wanted. The girlfriend was a world-destroying robot or an alien conqueror or something...not quite the light tone that I want for the various Craigslist stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment