Sunday, February 4, 2018

Strength and the ICONS benchmarks

SYSTEM: ICONS

I went looking for this information because I was sure I had put it here, transported from my old LiveJournal account.

I had not. I looked up the numbers in 2013, and can no longer remember what, specifically, they represented. So this is ballpark only.

If you're playing ICONS, you're not really concerned with hard numbers, but I played Champions for years and years... So I went and dug up things that the Strength benchmark lists as an example. And these numbers make it easier to eyeball conversions from other systems.

In the spirit of casualness, I always rounded up (I mean, I have a heavy sack as 20 kg, and a couple of heavy sacks as 50 kg). Still, I figured folks might like the numbers. (ICONS does not necessarily map to the real world; it's not meant to. This is so you can make judgements on the fly.)

Some of it is just, what? Weight of a building—what kind of building? Since superhero stories generally take place in New York or a New York analogue, I used the weight bandied about for one of the World Trade Center buildings. Since the next entry is 2x107 bigger, I think that works.

Again: I have no idea if these numbers are even in the one significant figure accuracy, but hey...

RankExampleMass (kg)Comments
1Heavy sack20Yes, kilograms. I'm Canadian.
2Child35 
3Couple of heavy sacks50 
4Adult man100 
5Motorcycle200 
6Car2000These days, cars are much lighter than they used to be. But I used the old weight.
7Tank60000I think I looked up the weight of an M1 Abrams for this.
8Plane or train5E5 (500 tons)A fully-loaded freight train weighs much more than a passenger jet. I think I went with a train here. A Cessna would be vastly lighter and qualify as a plane, but you know that's not what they're talking about.
9Building5E8 (500 kilotons)Empire State Building? Football stadium? Big, anyway.
10Mountain1E16 (Lots. A hundred million kilotons.)

1 comment:

  1. Mapping these numbers onto DC Heroes:
    If strength is 2 or less, add 1 to get the ICONS strength.
    From 3-6, stays the same.
    A DC Heroes strength between 7-11 is a 7 in ICONS.
    A DC Heroes strength between 12-24 is an 8 in ICONS.
    A DC Heroes strength between 25-30+ is a 9 in ICONS.

    However, in DC Comics Superman is generally the second-strongest or strongest there is. So if we make Superman a 10 and leave higher values for actual cosmic menaces, let's say that 12 - 18 is an 8, 16 - 24 is a 9, and 25+ is a 10. If I had to eyeball it, going by the famous, "Well, I think Mammoth isn't as strong as Solomon Grundy" method.

    Which is all subjective, but hey.

    ReplyDelete